PETITION TO END THE LIVE DRAFT HORSE SHIPMENTS FOR SLAUGHTER SPONSORED BY MP NATHANIEL ERSKINE-SMITH
All Canadians concerned about the protection of horses: please sign this crucial petition, sponsored by MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith and supported by numerous Members of Parliament. Speak out now against the live exports of our Gentle Giants for slaughter. Help get this cruel practice stopped!
The petition reads:
Petition to the House of Commons in Parliament assembled
- Large draft horses over 17 hands high are air-shipped annually from Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg airports to Japan for human consumption;
- Three to four horses are loaded into crates smaller than a single horse stall;
- Numerous horses in these crates lack sufficient head clearance, with ears protruding through crate roofs;
- Flights are 10.5 to 13.5 hours long, with additional hours spent for ground transportation and the loading and unloading process;
- During this time, horses have no access to food, water or rest;
- Deaths and injuries occur on these flights, as well as broken crates and one known incident of damage to aircraft fuselage;
- Horses air-shipped to Japan for human consumption are usually purpose-bred in Canada;
- Their well-being can be compromised due to lack of veterinary and farrier care and withholding of drugs prohibited from the human food chain;
- Scientific evidence shows that horses suffer physically and psychologically during long-distance transport and during loading and unloading;
- Canadian animal welfare laws have no jurisdiction over the treatment of these horses when they reach Japan;
- A 2019 Nanos poll revealed that 69% of Canadian respondents are opposed to the slaughter of horses for human consumption; and
- Public awareness about this issue is increasing, with media interest and celebrity involvement.
Please note that the petition can be signed only by Canadian citizens, in Canada and abroad, or by residents of Canada.
PLEASE GO HERE TO SIGN.
The CHDC has recently obtained documents for two Korean Air Cargo flights in June, 2020, which were transporting horses to Japan for slaughter. The flights in question occurred on June 3 and June 29. The June 29 flight was originally scheduled to leave on May 9 but...
Our ZOOM meeting with the All-Party Animal Welfare Caucus on January 21, 2021 was proof of the fact that the well-being of horses matters to a surprising number of our representatives in government. The session was well attended and we couldn't help but be inspired...
The CHDC received the following message from a young supporter: “Hi, my name is Camrie. I'm a 12 year old grade 7 girl and I really LOVE what you guys are doing...I think live export and horse slaughter are such a cruel thing and it needs to be stopped! I'm trying to...
Hope By: Laura Cull My darling Hope was with me for ten and half precious years. When our time together began, I had no idea all the incredible ways she would change my life or all the blessed teachings she would impart on me. She became the apple of my eye, my pride...
Access-To-Information documents received regarding a March 11, 2015 live horse shipment from the Calgary Airport describe the conditions under which several horses went down once loaded, or prior to being loaded, on an Atlas Air flight to Osaka, Japan. Of the horses...
The CHDC has recently obtained documents through Access to Information which include information regarding several instances of injured and deceased horses as well as an accounting of a disturbing incident that occurred in 2014. This is a very hard report to read and...
In these times of uncertainty in so many areas of our lives, it is so inspiring when we see acts of generosity. This is what we at Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC) have experienced recently when Tannik’s Keepsakes of Halifax, Nova Scotia contacted us with an...
Horse advocates of Canada - please sign this important petition to the European Union and read the damning report about the horse meat trade which includes Canada! Tens of thousands of horses are cruelly killed in Canadian slaughterhouses every year with their meat...
We would like to share with you a letter written by Kate Drummond, actress and Canadian Screen Award Winner 2020 for Top Lead Performance, TV Movie. Ms. Drummond is also a director, producer, and screenwriter. Kate wrote to the Minister of Agriculture, Hon....
Jann Arden has created a campaign to help in the fight against the live draft horse shipments to Japan. You can find more info at her web site. Here you can order various products to show your support for the horses.
"Canada should be leading the world when it comes to animal welfare— and yet we drop the ball in so many ways. We ship thousands upon thousands of live horses for the overseas meat trade and grotesquely fail with their treatment. Often in tight cages of three or four - for days."
"This is an amazing, important organization... donate if you can. Even a toonie makes a difference."
Please share this site on Social Media, and with friends who own horses but may not be aware of the horse slaughter industry in Canada, with friends who may be taking conjugated equine estrogens for menopause, with doctors who prescribe CEE drugs, and with any friends considering taking their horse to a sale barn or an auction.
Whistle blowers are invited to contact the CHDC regarding violations occurring during horse slaughter or transport to slaughter. Are you a retired CFIA veterinarian, an ex-slaughter house employee, a transport driver or feedlot operator with knowledge of animal abuse, or other violations? Are you a track veterinarian who has evidence of horses "run" on phenylbutazone or other drugs, and then shipped to slaughter? Anonymity guaranteed!