PETITION TO END THE LIVE DRAFT HORSE SHIPMENTS FOR SLAUGHTER SPONSORED BY MP NATHANIEL ERSKINE-SMITH
All Canadians concerned about the protection of horses: please sign this crucial petition, sponsored by MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith and supported by numerous Members of Parliament. Speak out now against the live exports of our Gentle Giants for slaughter. Help get this cruel practice stopped!
The petition reads:
Petition to the House of Commons in Parliament assembled
- Large draft horses over 17 hands high are air-shipped annually from Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg airports to Japan for human consumption;
- Three to four horses are loaded into crates smaller than a single horse stall;
- Numerous horses in these crates lack sufficient head clearance, with ears protruding through crate roofs;
- Flights are 10.5 to 13.5 hours long, with additional hours spent for ground transportation and the loading and unloading process;
- During this time, horses have no access to food, water or rest;
- Deaths and injuries occur on these flights, as well as broken crates and one known incident of damage to aircraft fuselage;
- Horses air-shipped to Japan for human consumption are usually purpose-bred in Canada;
- Their well-being can be compromised due to lack of veterinary and farrier care and withholding of drugs prohibited from the human food chain;
- Scientific evidence shows that horses suffer physically and psychologically during long-distance transport and during loading and unloading;
- Canadian animal welfare laws have no jurisdiction over the treatment of these horses when they reach Japan;
- A 2019 Nanos poll revealed that 69% of Canadian respondents are opposed to the slaughter of horses for human consumption; and
- Public awareness about this issue is increasing, with media interest and celebrity involvement.
Please note that the petition can be signed only by Canadian citizens, in Canada and abroad, or by residents of Canada.
PLEASE GO HERE TO SIGN.
New Start Standardbreds was founded in 2020 to assist in the re-homing of Standardbred horses across the province of Ontario. New Start works with Standardbred owners and caretakers to ensure that their equine(s) find safe, stable and caring homes through our...
Out of Africa Animal Sanctuary was established in 2002. Our founders, Sandy Raubenheimer and her husband, emigrated from South Africa, settled northwest of Edmonton, and have been rescuing animals for the past 19 years. The sanctuary currently has 114 animals in its...
We received the most amazing email yesterday informing us that we will be recipients of a $1000 donation through the Canadian Horse Defence Coalition made possible through Jann Arden's #horseshit campaign. As a small family farm turned pony rescue / sanctuary...
"Purple" is literally the face of a horse meant to disappear to slaughter. We call him Purple as a short form for "the horse with the purple vet wrap on his front leg" as that is how he was sold to the kill buyer. It kind of stuck. My vet believes his tattoo was...
This morning, March 8th, 2021, an important meeting was held with various groups involved in stopping the import to the EU of horse meat from countries where welfare and human health are concerning issues. Worth noting is that there were representatives of the...
March 2, 2021 Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada has released their 2020 Q4 Horse Trade Summary. There has been a significant decrease in the number of horses exported for slaughter, US horses imported for slaughter and horse meat exports. Compared to the same period...
It is with deep gratitude that Spirit’s Whisper Ranch (SWR) extends a huge "Thank You" to the Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC) and Jann Arden’s www.horseshit.ca campaign for their financial donation. This donation assisted with recent, unexpected vet care...
Earth Arc and Becca In 2010, Becca was one of 38 starving and injured horses the SPCA seized in New Brunswick. Becca was a rack of bones, barely able to stand, with one eye sunken in and infected. Unfortunately, Becca’s eye had to later be surgically removed. The...
When discovered by Silver Willow Rescue it was disclosed that he’d been down for days in the hot sun just laying there waiting to die. He had a severely injured spine and was left to die after spending his life as a work horse on a Mennonite Farm. The dead stock...
Honouring Slain Horses at Ontario’s Barton Feeders Owen Sound, once a busy port city, is strategically located at the mouths of the Pottawatomi and Sydenham Rivers on an inlet of Georgian Bay in Ontario. Tourism and agriculture are integral to the local economy. The...
Jann Arden has created a campaign to help in the fight against the live draft horse shipments to Japan. You can find more info at her web site. Here you can order various products to show your support for the horses.
"Canada should be leading the world when it comes to animal welfare— and yet we drop the ball in so many ways. We ship thousands upon thousands of live horses for the overseas meat trade and grotesquely fail with their treatment. Often in tight cages of three or four - for days."
"This is an amazing, important organization... donate if you can. Even a toonie makes a difference."
Please share this site on Social Media, and with friends who own horses but may not be aware of the horse slaughter industry in Canada, with friends who may be taking conjugated equine estrogens for menopause, with doctors who prescribe CEE drugs, and with any friends considering taking their horse to a sale barn or an auction.
Whistle blowers are invited to contact the CHDC regarding violations occurring during horse slaughter or transport to slaughter. Are you a retired CFIA veterinarian, an ex-slaughter house employee, a transport driver or feedlot operator with knowledge of animal abuse, or other violations? Are you a track veterinarian who has evidence of horses "run" on phenylbutazone or other drugs, and then shipped to slaughter? Anonymity guaranteed!